Youth Empowering ParentsOrganization Type: Education & Schools
Address: 82 Richmond Street Toronto, ON M5C 1P1, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1P1
Contact: Jessica Cann
A free virtual summer program for students who want to gain leadership skills, enhance their communication abilities, learn to be more persuasive, receive valuable experience for post-secondary applications, and get volunteer hours.
This program has been provided to over 300 post-secondary students at York University enrolled in Teachers College. We’ve adapted it for all interested youth (ages 15+)!
Program dates: July 4th to September 2nd
Here’s what you will do:
- You will meet with our team on Zoom and get trained on how to teach.
- You will teach at least 2 people (e.g. an adult, a senior in your neighbourhood) a skill you have, once or twice a week. It could be technology skills, English skills or something else.
- You will continue to meet with our team on Zoom 2-3 times a week. You’ll talk about your successes and challenges, and learn new skills.
The program is run by a subject-matter expert who has trained over 5,000 students to become amazing elementary and high school teachers. He has taught at York University, University of Toronto, and several US universities (e.g. UConn, Drake University).
Here’s what you will learn:
- How to give clear & step-by-step instructions;
- Techniques for patience when dealing with challenging situations;
- Picking the right words to communicate things clearly and concisely;
- Changing your instruction style for people who learn in different ways;
- Creating your own lesson plans;
- Learning different ways you can evaluate if someone is learning what you’re teaching them; and
- Customized feedback, depending on your specific needs
Here’s how you will benefit:
- Get lots of volunteer hours (over 100+ hours);
- Get a reference letter for a job, scholarship, or a post-secondary / teachers college application;
- Get a certificate and a LinkedIn recommendation upon successful completion of the program;
- Get real-life experience teaching someone (1-on-1 or in small groups);
- Improve communication, problem-solving, creativity and integrative-thinking skills; and
- Learn what University students are learning, for free.
Social Media Links
Youth Empowering Parents’s Volunteer Opportunities
Contact Youth Empowering Parents
Get Directions82 Richmond Street Toronto, ON M5C 1P1, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1P1